My Blog List

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

THE LIGHTHOUSE BY P D JAMES




P D James's books never ever fail to entrance me.  The author is 85 but the stories are so contemporary, so in touch with present life that they hold you from beginning to end. At the end you are sorry the story ended and you are on the lookout for the next book.

Set on a fictitious island Coombe off the coast off Cornwall in idyllic but rough surroundings, the island is a haven for those in industry or politics who seek a quiet place of serenity and solitude to relax sans the fear of terrorism or security or the day to day humdrum calls of their lives. It is run with clockwork efficiency by a very efficient staff and the whole place runs like a well oiled machine.

Enter Nathan Oliver a not very nice man, famous author who uses people and brings out the worst in them so that his stories could be so authentic as he is able to get into the head of the character so to speak. Nathan Oliver upsets the smooth functioning of the Island. He also finds himself murdered and so enters the enigmatic Adam Dalgleish. (I never fail to be impressed by him as well!)

Unusual settings are James's forte and here there is no exception. This remote island with its lighthouse and its separate cottages cut off from the mainland, no visitors allowed other than by permission are so beautifully described that you never want to leave. Add to this mix the gorgeous Inspector with his poetry and music, and a mix of characters and you have a best seller on your hands.

Just waiting to get to the next P D James's book. Absolutely riveting.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe i have never read this author. So happy you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read PD James either but I've written down this title and look forward to reading it at some point. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got Death At Pemberly on my stacks and can't wait to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those authors I'm familiar with and see all the time, but have yet to read. One day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like lighthouses and this sounds good. I gather Adam D is a repeat character? I will take a look for this author. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete