My Blog List

Sunday, July 1, 2012

AGATHA CHRISTIE'S BLACK COFFEE


It was only in the Afterwords of this book that I knew that this was first a play written in 1929. At first she faced a negative response from her publisher but she went ahead and it was first performed in 1930.  The play was played in the West End and the next year was made into a film.  It was only twenty years after the death of Agatha Christie that the play was made into a book.

An urgent call from Sir Claud Amory to Hercule Poirot that someone is trying to steal a formulae - worth a lot of money has him hot foot it to the country estate of Amory. Too late to save him, Hercule Poirot sets off in his inimitable style to find the murderer of the Sir Claud as well as finding the missing document.

I always find Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot working in tandem with logic and almost step by step follow up of instructions! it seems quite simple at the end of the story as to how their minds work but it is absolutely impossible for anyone else to fathom how these murderers mind's work and even how the murder is attempted.


Wth just a few characters to play around with this is a light hearted read with the usual Poirot flair and poise!

7 comments:

  1. I really must read some Agatha Christie! Thanks for visiting, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't think I've read this! I've just been watching re-runs of Marple on the internet and getting my Christie fix. I know many people grumble about the discrepancies between the books and the adaptations but I enjoy them all the same:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mystica,

    I always love Agatha Christie, whether it be books, films or television adaptations and I can read or watch, over and over again and never tire of them.

    I think that I prefer Poirot to Miss Marple, even though he is so pedantic and pernickety sometimes, that it is really infuriating.

    I often try to second guess him and see if I can work out how he arrives at the identity of the suspect, but even if I manage to identify the suspect correctly, I can never really work out how he arrives at the same conclusion.

    Always a great read,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is on my bucket list to read an Agatha Christie book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Agatha Christie in a long time, but I really should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally read my first Agatha Christie novel a few months ago - will add this one to my growing list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the process of reading her books in publishing order right now, but never even thought of doing the plays (or the novelizaiton of plays). I guess I may have to do that once I'm done with the other books. Thanks for brining this one to my attention.

    ReplyDelete