My Blog List

Thursday, July 12, 2012

THE COLONEL'S DAUGHTER AND OTHER STORIES BY ROSE TREMAIN



The stories start with the unusual one of Charlotte preparing to rob the ancestral home whilst her parents are blissfully unaware of what is happening as they are on holiday. This was the main story and though all the stories are short and to the point, there is a lot of action and every story is utterly concise and complete.

These collections of short stories are for me very enjoyable. They are ideal to read whilst travelling. I am overjoyed at the end of the day that I have actually completed so many stories - and the fact that all the stories have a story to tell is also interesting.

Apart from the Colonels daughter where you are dealing with the aristocracy on the one hand and their daughter who is so opposite them, we next have the aging beauty trying to hold her own and losing her gigolo boyfriend to her own daughter, the Dawses trying to maintain a lifestyle which they are not accustomed to courtesy of the life insurance policy that has matured, and we have the author delving into all kinds of relationships apart from the talking about the effect that money has on love and the effect that social class have on love. The book gets you thinking of parallels that you may have found in your own life - people who may be similar to those you are reading about!



3 comments:

  1. I don't read enough short story collections even though I usually enjoy them when I do read them. Will keep a look-out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a collection of stories I'd definitely enjoy. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love short stories so I'm going to add this to my wishlist. I think I would really enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete