My Blog List

Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley *****




Though I have posted reviews on other books for the first week of January,  this was my first actual read for January and I am so glad that I started out with a bang!


Lucinda Riley does not disappoint in this story - starting out as a big magical with seven girls being adopted from various parts of the world, brought together to an idyllic mansion set on a lake in Switzerland brought up by a single father about whom very little is known (upto the end) and then the story goes on to bring about the history of Maia the eldest and then we have a family saga. So you've got several elements brought together very well.


Maia is the oldest amongst the girls and this is her story. Each girl was left behind a letter and something from her past which will indicate her origins. There are also co ordinates left behind to decipher which will explain their geographical beginnings. All very mysterious and all very whetting the appetite beginnings.


Maia's story begins in Brazil, crosses over to France goes back to Brazil and she finds a long lost grandmother and an entire history of who and what she is. Involving an aristocratic family in Brazil, a sculptor from Paris and a very different lifestyle the story is fascinating in its descriptive detail. Every adopted child I feel wants to know their roots - and to have an inkling as to why they were given up for adoption. It may not give you the answers you seek but at least you have some answers.


The story with its twists and turns kept me going till I finished. Loved this book. 


This was a download courtesy of Edelweiss.



4 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot about Riley's work and you've made it sound like it's been for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this! I will have to add it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I have liked this author's other books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed Riley's books in the past, so I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete