My Blog List

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen




The setting of a small town of Bascom is ideal for this slightly fantastic novel by Sarah Addison Allen. She always writes something bordering on the mystical, an edge of unreality always creeping in but not so much that you have to discount it altogether.


The Waverleys are different. Every generation has its own quirks and this one has its fair share. Claire makes candies and her candies imbue the eater with something more - happiness, joy, contentment and whatever the person desires. At the same time the peaceful life of the Waverleys is about to end. A strange elusive old man has entered the village.  No one knows anything about him and he seems to appear and disappear at will but he holds information which he intends to use to blackmail one of the Waverleys and bring down their downfall.


At the same time we have Bay a young, innocent teen who is on the brink of her first relationship with none other than one of the Matthesons. The very same Mattheson's father who broke her mother's heart. Claire naturally wants to protect Bay from all this and more. But life has a funny way of happening despite the wants and desires of its elders and this magical family story beautifully told is one such story.


I always come away from one of these books with a slight feeling of discontent that I am living in a very mundane, practical family where none of the above exists!


Nice read from Netgalley through Hodder and Stoughton. Thank you.

11 comments:

  1. This one is on my list to read soon. Your cover is different from the one I've seen. Isn't it interesting how the covers differ in different places? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I'll have to remember this one -- I've read one Allen novel and liked it -- and like you, was miffed my life wasn't so magical and dramatic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand the discontent - life sometimes is not quite that magical. I haven't read this book, but I enjoyed Lost Lake by this author. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want it in print so I wait, sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to give this author a try! I have a couple of her books in my TBR collection. I just need to make time for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this title at several blogs now. Not sure it is my type of read as I am not big on family drama. :-) Action and suspense are good for me and historical romance which is drama but suitable to a different time period.
    I am glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to reading this book. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the first few by this author and then she fell off my radar, as a have a little trouble with magical realism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love magical realism. It seems I should check this book out. Thank-you for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely review. SAA does magical realism like no other author and I adored visiting with the Waverleys again. Haven't seen that cover before, it's pretty too,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love SAA and am so looking forward to this one. I know what you mean about feeling a little let down by you own life after :)

    ReplyDelete