Google+ Followers

My Blog List

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Mailbox Monday and It's Monday What are you reading?



Mailbox Monday and  It's Monday - What are you reading? are two memes which I combine so that readers can have the best that the reading world can offer. Please go visit the links.


This week my Mailbox is fairly heavy - three books are wins



These two were wins from Marce. Thank you Marce.

This was a win from Rebecca.  Thanks Rebecca.


This cover does not do the book justice! just could not find the striking cover of the book I have won from Abigail Ann. This goes right away to my son who will enjoy this book.

The balance books are from my second hand shop - all the authors are ones which have been recommended by book bloggers.





Both these books were picked due to recommendations of bloggers. May not be this particular book as I am not always that lucky to get the actual book recommended but I feel getting to read even one of the books by a recommended author is good enough. Bloggers are so discerning that that recommendation alone is enough!

I am hoping to finish two Monica Dickens books (Man Overboard and Thursday Afternoons) - both slightly old fashioned style of writing which I like. Both books are really old and musty - one is published in 1958!  The other book which I hope to start on is the Anne Tyler one which I bought last week - Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant (I feel that title alone is intriguing enough to get one started!)

It's Monday here in Sri Lanka and a start of  hectic week. Am leaving for Negombo (quite close to Colombo but it is going to be a full days work out) this is what Negombo is like.

A fishing town (now an enormous city) with a church on every corner!

Have a good week everyone.

22 comments:

bookdout said...

Some great wins from Marce, Boca Nights looks entertaining!

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

Teddyree said...

Nice haul of books, hope you enjoy them.
Negombo looks quite beautiful, enjoy your time there and happy reading too :)

Mrs Q Book Addict said...

i haven't read any of these. I hope you enjoy them all!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

You received some interesting books this week - all new to me. Hope you enjoy them!

Serena said...

gorgeous photos and books. I hope you enjoy the Henry James.

bermudaonion said...

Congratulations on your great wins! Negombo looks like paradise!

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

Congratulations on your wins! Enjoy all your new reads!

Jenny Q said...

Great Mailbox! I'm going to check out Also the Hills. Have a great trip!

Dizzy C said...

Lovely photos.

Hope you have a good week

carol

Kaye said...

Congrats on you wins. Thanks for including the photos of Negombo - very pretty. The House on Abercrombie Square looks wonderful.
Have a great week, Mystica, and happy reading!

Tribute Books Mama said...

Great wins! enjoy your books.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/mailbox-monday.html

Cat said...

I like the old fashioned books too. I remember reading F P Keyes years ago and enjoying her books.

Have a great reading week.

Blodeuedd said...

Enjoy your books :D

pussreboots said...

Enjoy your books. I have a bunch of similar vintage on my TBR. What is keeping me from finishing the books I have going? A new kitten! Come see what I'm reading.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

The books all look good. I hope your week isn't too hectic. I like the pictures!

alitareads said...

Congrats on your wins! I hope you have a great trip - Negombo looks beautiful!

Leslie said...

Lucky week, congratulations on all the wins. The other picks are new titles for me.

Harvee said...

I hope you enjoy Portrait of a Lady. I also liked the movie! Hope you'll visit my book teaser

Anna said...

I love how you're always acquiring older books. They'd never be on my radar otherwise. Happy reading!

carolsnotebook said...

Looks like some great books. Enjoy!

Negombo looks like a beautiful place.

Diana (Book of Secrets) said...

Congrats on your wins! I hope you enjoy them. Thank you for visiting my mailbox post!
Diana @ Book of Secrets

Kate {The Parchment Girl} said...

I have a friend who read the series that Bloody Jack is in and she couldn't stop raving about it. Haven't read it myself, but I've heard it's really good! Enjoy!