My Blog List

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Revenge and retribution by Anna Belfrage












As usual I don't seem to be able to put the image up. Again the cover is a bit lack luster. What's with covers? Fabulous stories, meticulous research and then a meh cover!


Alex has come back to the 14th century from the 21st but unlike other Time travel books we do not know anything of her 21st century life. She is more than happy in rural Maryland with her husband and large family surrounded by conniving rogues, hostile native Indians and a bigoted clergy.

Running the gamut of avoiding the equivalent of pirates who will stoop to everything to bring the Graham family down and boy how they succeed. Abducting Sarah, raping and physically abusing her to the utmost, then taking Matthew hostage and doing the same with him, killing another son. Losing another son Samuel to the Indians on a promise that Matthew had made a while ago and the ultimate personal danger to Alex where she is accused of witchery and black magic by her brother in law are more than enough for one book.

How all this is put together in a tale where you have to know how it is all going to end is what Anna Belfrage does and does very well. Despite the general gruesomeness and almost bestial behavior of some, the story keeps you enthralled. A family saga - of how we just go on, human survival against all odds.

This is the sixth book in the time slip series and I have got to it in the middle though this was a perfectly good stand alone read.

A book sent to me by Netgalley courtesy of publishers Silverwood Books. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. I loved 11/22/63 and need to try other time travel books. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer you are having trouble with pics! I like time travel books although I never thought I would :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad this kept you enthralled. The time travel and darker elements have me curious.

    ReplyDelete