My Blog List

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Two short book reviews - one a mystery the other family with a WWI background




This was the second book given to me by Sakura from Chasing Bawa. It is a mystery so slightly different to the usual Regency style of writing of Heyer's. Peter, Margaret and Celia along with her husband Charles have inherited an old ramshackle house - and find that the whole village is scared of its resident ghost The Monk. Appearing cowled and without any facial features visible he seems to have put off the entire neighbourhood. The family though believe that this is just a tall tale and try to solve once and for all the mystery of the Monk.

Though the final identity of the Monk was a surprise - the book itself is an easy read and a nice comforting one for a wet day (of which we have had several).


Set in 1929 and going right upto to the end of WWI this period in history is one I like to read about. I seem to be coming up with more and more books covering this period each one dealing with families and how they deal with the huge trauma of war.

The wild card here is Liam - who is the housekeeper's son and who from the word go, does not "know his place" and has no intention of knowing it either. Add to the mix the children of the Clough household growing up with a helpless, weak kneed mother and a dictator father who wants to rule his children with a rod of iron. The ups and downs of family, the relationships that develop between this family and the Parkers (another family whom the Cloughs have been friends with), the devastation and destruction of the war, the deprivation faced by all,the breakdown of class and social barriers is very apparent, and how human beings try to survive despite over riding odds form the major part of this story.

An extremely interesting, descriptive book which had me engrossed from beginning to end.

10 comments:

  1. I like the sound of that second one. Sure the Heyer one sounds nice, but I would like her books from an earlier timeperiod

    ReplyDelete
  2. FOr some reason I too share the same fascination with books set during WWI (and II)and how families adjust and cope under war conditions. This Georgette Heyer sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Georgette Heyer sounds good. I've read a few of her mysteries and liked them very much.

    Funny. At first glance I thought your post was about the old Errol Flynn film, FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK. He plays a detective, a wealthy guy who has to hide his profession from his wife, Brenda Marshall. (they were married in real life as well, at least for a while.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mystica, Anne Perry has a series of books set during WWI. I wonder if you'd like those.

    I've not read any, but I've read her other two series and know she is a very fine writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I generally like Heyer's writing, but am not a big fan of that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. like alyce, i'm less than thrilled with the cover of heyer's novel, but the premise does sound good. i like a good mystery--especially in the winter or during a rainy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read one of Heyer's mysteries yet. Hopefully this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read one Heyer book and just couldn't get into it. I still can't decide if I need to give her another go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! here is yet another one I need to read! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Wild Card sounds really good, but I'm curious whether you mean WWII since WWI ended in 1918?

    ReplyDelete