My Blog List

Monday, February 21, 2011

Review - George du Maurier 's Trilby


I found this difficult going and was almost going to give up half way. The story is based on the author's own life as a student in Paris and his experiences at the end of the 19th century. Little Billee is the chief character with the Laird and Taffy as his associates. They all occupy lodgings in the Latin Quarter and get on amicably together. This group makes the acquaintance of Trilby an orphan of mixed Irish and French parents who supports herself and her brother by modelling. Add to the mix a German Polish singer by the name of Svengali.

Little Billee falls in love with Trilby and intends to marry her. On getting to know this his mother appeals to Trilby that marriage to her son would ruin him for ever. In true self sacrificing spirit Trilby disappears leaving Billee saddened and distraught.

Years later a singer of repute appears on the scene - La Svengali . Though technically superb it is felt that she moves stiltedly and almost like a puppet. To everyone's amazement it is the old Trilby. Very early on in the story the fact that Svengali could hypnotize Trilby was apparent but it is only with Svengali's death that Trilby is able to break free from this strange mesmerism.

For me it was a tough read but I did want to read something of this du Maurier to see whether it was in any way related to his daughter. For me it wasn't anything close to Daphne du Maurier's classics.

8 comments:

  1. Ah, that's too bad...I hate finding books that disappoint me...Daphne's books are so awesome!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to see this one didn't work for you. I, too, love Daphne's books; it's a shame it didn't run in the family, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have a very old copy of this but haven't managed to read it yet... But I'm not expecting it to be anything like Daphne's novels:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on completing the book - I don't think it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you believe I still have a Daphne du Maurier book collecting dust on the shelf... I know I know I'll get to it.

    Too bad this George did not must the same clout as Daphne. At least you tried and got a sense of its strength against the other great reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never heard of this du Maurier. Good for you for trying something different! Thanks for stopping by. Here's to happy reading ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is too bad it was tough to get through. Thanks for visiting me! I have to be better about doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't known prior to this that Daphne du Maurier's father wrote anything. Making it through a tough read like that always feels like an accomplishment to me - so congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete