My Blog List

Sunday, March 20, 2016

What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan









What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan



It was only after I read the book that I knew that this is a debut novel. What a debut. The pathos and emotion, sadness and anger, joy and hope all come through so very well that you are living the day to day trauma of Rachel, John, Nicky, Katrina and Benedict every minute of it


The story of a mother's worst nightmare - an abduction of a child from a seemingly harmless walk in the woods. Something this mother and son do all the time. No idea of whom, no idea whether it was planned or random and everything going horribly wrong when the focus turns on the mother as the culprit. Why the public would think this was what puzzled me. But the picture did clear though it was so random. The power of the media and to what extent the press would go to keep readers titillated to buy copy, never mind the damage you are doing to a perfectly normal soul.
It was only after I read the book that I knew that this is a debut novel. What a debut. The pathos and emotion, sadness and anger, joy and hope all come through so very well that you are living the day to day trauma of Rachel, John, Nicky, Katrina and Benedict every minute of it.

The story had so many twists and turns - the suspects were hardly any because there was no one who had enemies and so it was an even worse nightmare to try to whittle it down. How a mother's instincts paid off in the long run, and how policing can ignore this to their detriment was also highlighted in this story.

Excellently told. Am looking forward to seeing more from this author.

Sent to me by Edelweiss.

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! This sounds really good. I can't imagine going through such a nightmare and then ending up as a suspect while the real culprit was still out there. I will be adding this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love when a debut is so good! Then you just have to hope that the writer doesn't take too long to write the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this one quite a bit too, although it was a difficult read for me. I am glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to this book. It is sitting on the stacks. Glad you it was a good read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, in this country the media will manipulate things to garner attention. This sounds like a page turner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so exciting to find a wonderful debut! It always makes me wonder about the heights an author can achieve with later books...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one which was published under Burnt Paper Sky here in the UK - definitely one of my favourite reads of last year so it's good to hear you enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one I have been eying and your review makes it more intriguing.
    So glad you liked it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete