My Blog List

Sunday, March 6, 2016

London Rain by Nicola Upson

London Rain (Josephine Tey, #6)


May 1937 and it is a good time to be in London. A new king to be crowned amidst controversy not seen for hundreds of years.  Josephine is back in London to oversee a new production of her latest play for the BBC.

The setting is very good. You have the modernity of the BBC which is coming into its own - women are slowly beginning to have some position in administration, not just low level jobs but they have to fight for it. A relationship between two women can be at least acknowledged between the lovers if not openly at least and the controversy of Wallis Simpson has had an ending with the new king coming to the throne.

Within this framework the story of Josephine and her standing in the murders that take place. The why and wherefore are intricate and go back decades and this is the beauty in the story. The death of the broadcaster right during the huge ceremony of the coronation, the discovery of his mistresses's body who is also the chief actress in Josephine's play shows there is some sort of link and it is upto Chief Inspector Archie to sort it out. He did not expect Josephine to put herself in any sort of danger by putting herself forward and taking a leading role in trying to sort it out.

I liked to see how the BBC worked at this period of time and added to that history was also the crime that took place. I am a fan of this series and this worked out very well for me.

Sent to me by Edelweiss.

7 comments:

  1. BBC and a historical setting? This certainly sounds good, Mystica. The cover and title are appealing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, I like this time period too and leading up to the war of course. A very interesting time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like historical crime fiction novels. They remind me of Sherlock Holmes stories. So glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this one, and what a gorgeous cover! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog. Have a great week....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do enjoy books set in England. This one looks like a good historical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the setting and the time period so this sounds good to me. My mom would probably love the BBC aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've really enjoyed the two books of this series that I've read.

    ReplyDelete