My Blog List

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Hello from the Gillespies by Monica McInerney


This was my first read of Monica McInerney. Will not be my last. A book sent to me via Netgalley after I read a review of this one on a blog. I am so glad I got this one.

Set in the outback of rural Australia, all wide open spaces, paddocks and absolutely no people we have Angela English born and bred adapting beautifully to life in this corner of Australia, married to the love of her life and with four grown up children. Everything seems perfectly placid on the surface that is. Until everything blows up in everyone's face.

Angela has done a round robin letter each Christmas to all friends, relations, acquaintances and business colleagues. It outlines the usual happenings of the Gillespie family year around. This time around something happens to Angela.Without sugar coating she outlines the actual/factual happenings of the Gillespie clan. It ranges from the sordid to the wicked includes extra marital flings, supposed affairs with married men, whingeing adult children, strange son with an imaginary friend at 14 (should have outgrown that one!), the difficult aunt who always descends on them during Christmas. It goes on and on. Made for extremely interesting reading as long as it did not describe your family. We all have them but very few of us would be so honest as Angela in detailing them!!!! 

Due to an emergency, the email was left open on the computer and Angela's husband knowing how important this Christmas newsletter was for Angela sends it out on December 1st. When the trickle becomes a river of interest from everyone, Angela realises the cat is out of the bag. The family itself other than the Aunt is totally unaware of happenings and now it is Angela's turn to bell the cat and come clean.

Added to the convoluted happenings of the Gillespie family is added drama with accidents, mental fugue on the part of Angela, a scam in which Nick is duped all add to the "side" happenings in this family saga.

This was a humorous read. I liked the actual poking of fun at myself and mine very much in this book. Honest reading!

Thank you Penguin Group Berkeley for sending this through Netgalley. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Mystica, I can recommend her other novels.

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing this one around and I'll have to add it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been getting good reviews. I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this on my list to read! Glad to know you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any other Monica McInerney before this one and enjoyed it as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to look up this author. The book sounds like an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing. Happy Reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's on my wish list so I'm glad you can recommend it!

    ReplyDelete