My Blog List

Sunday, January 8, 2012

REVIEW - A RATHER LOVELY INHERITANCE BY C A BELMOND

Penny researches history for the movies. She loves her work which is not very richly remunerated and leads a very simple life. Enter Aunt Penelope who dies and leaves "something" for her in her will. It necessitates her being present for the reading of the will and Jeremy her cousin (who is one of the lawyers) will help her out with the details.

Penny finds that she is now the owner of the garage of the villa which Aunt owned and of course everything that is in the garage. Apart from old tools and rusty tins, there is a pristine, hugely expensive car which needs just minor repairs but this is only the tip of the iceberg. Enter an evil cousin Rollo and his equally oily mother who are out to get whatever more they can get from the inheritance.

The book was light - romance, complicated family relationships and skeletons in the closet (lots of skeletons actually), a chase through several countries trying to locate a missing painting and general fun. I also think people had a lot of fun in the 1920s period and we are staid in comparison!

A nice warm feeling at the end. Good always prevail the evil are vanquished and happy ever after. Just what I needed.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, the one sounds fun! I've got to go add it to my "to read" list before I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read one of her other books and liked it. This one looks good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish!!! Thanks for visiting me and commenting on my Winter Table 'Scape.

    ReplyDelete