My Blog List

Friday, April 1, 2011

Review - Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER


My cover is different to this but lack of time kept me from going looking for the cover I wanted! My first experience into the realm of time travel - but this is not just a paranormal/fantasy story - not at all. It is historical fiction at its best delving into the 1700's going back 200 years from where Claire is at present.

The story starts in the Highlands with Claire and her husband Frank in the midst of a relaxing holiday having survived WWII (as a nurse) and enjoying an almost second honeymoon (after eight years of marriage).

Touching a stone in a circle (something similar to Stonehenge) almost by accident she is thrown into the 1700's into a world so removed from her own that she is worried for her sanity and also her survival. Taken into custody as an English spy it the story adds another twist in the tale as it reveals the entire story of Randall who is her 20th century husband's actual ancestor!

Plenty of violence, plenty of drama, the harshness of life in society in primitive times and oh plenty of passion and scenes of explicit sex (maybe a bit too much at times) but on the other hand very real to show the deep abiding love of Claire and Jamie! Wont add any more spoilers to this story. You have got to read this to believe this.

For someone who was rather disdainful of the paranormal this was a wonderful read. Loved the book.

8 comments:

  1. I always did love time-travel ;) I must read these some day

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounded so complicated with the number of characters in it (much like Anna Karenina supposedly is), and like you, I'm not much for paranormal/fantasy but this sounds like my cup of tea. Thanks for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you enjoyed this one, are you going to keep reading the series?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad you loved it! It's quite possibly my most favorite book. I love when my friends discover it and become new Outlander fans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read the first 3 of these so far, and while I think they are unnecessarily long, I did enjoy them very much. I hope you continue with the series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read Outlander three times and the rest of the series once. I've also listened to them on audio several times. Do you think I love them? I'm glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you enjoyed this book. I got a copy from a book swap not too long ago, and I've been looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this series, and I'm glad you enjoyed the first book, Outlander. Personally, I think the series just got better and better with book #2 and #3 so I hope you will continue with the series!

    ReplyDelete