My Blog List

Sunday, June 28, 2020

A Dangerous Language by Sulari Gentill




My fascination for this author is that I can never reconcile in my head the image she conjures with 1920's style Melbourne and Sydney with the present day cities as I find them. My children are immigrants who have been there for a while but still you look at life in a slightly different angle. Sulari Gentill's angle fascinates.


We have Rowland Sinclair aristocratic but simple, and his cohorts a mixed bunch if ever there was one from the bohemian to the communist. All raging red flags to his conservative brother who feels the respectability of the Sinclair name must be maintained at all costs though what Rowland does is actually nothing disgraceful. The idea of not having anything about the family in the gutter press is the worst thing that could happen to the Sinclairs and this time around, Rowland outbeats all his previous endeavours !


I loved the quick pace of the story, the characterization of everyone and the settings for this story covering several cities in Australia.


History of early 20th century Australia at its best.


Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Poisoned Pen Press.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review. I've been hearing great things about this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read this author but I do like the cover. Great review!

    ReplyDelete