My Blog List

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

The Poison Garden by A J Banner

The Poison Garden


Elise seems to be well settled. An idyllic marriage, a beautiful home, gorgeous settings and tranquil lifestyle. In an instant her world is turned upside down, when she discovers her husband having a relationship with a girl in her own home.

Faced with such a situation Elise finds that she does not seem to be able to think rationally.
Disturbed and distraught Elise reverts to sleep walking and seems to be unaware of what she is doing at the time. Forces around her want her to imagine that she is losing her mind and Elise falls into the trap very easily.

Who is her enemy and who is her friend. Did she imagine she saw her husband dead, is her ex husband who is constantly on the scene actually concerned for her or is it put on and what is it with a caring neighbour who we know is not quite right. Is Elise herself in a proper state or is she slightly off balance and mentally not stable?

I found the background of the story a bit disconcerting till its conclusion. I felt there were too many strands that had to be woven together. The descriptiveness of the setting of this island was very good.

This was a bit too much of a complicated story for me though I did read to the end.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Lake Union Publishing. 

5 comments:

  1. I don't need an overly complicated story right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this on my wishlist after Laurel posted about it but, now I think I'll pass - I'm too old to struggle with "complicated".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add my voice to bermudaonion and Diane's. You read to the end which is to be commended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been curious about this one. Complicated I don't mind, but when it falls in into the convoluted side, which this sounds like it did for you, I am not so sure. I may try it just the same. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like there's a lot going on in this one. Maybe too much! It still sounds interesting to me, though, so I'll probably give it a go at some point.

    ReplyDelete