My Blog List

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Mercer Girls by Libbie Hawker




Who wouldn't fall in love with this cover?

1864 and the results of the Civil War are dreadful in small town America. Till the arrival of Asa Mercer on a rather unusual mission. He is seeking courageous, good character ed young women to take to Seattle to find partners there so that they can found a new generation of people for this frontier town.

Different types of young women all with their own agendas seeking new fortunes and new frontiers join Mercer on this mission. Adding to the sense of adventure is also a sense of seeking their own fortune and future homes all the girls look forward to the venture. Known as the Mercer girls and receiving mixed reactions from the town they are going to inhabit the story takes us through the ups and downs of life in such a town.

Adding to this is the suffragist movement in its infancy in America and how our ladies are drawn into it, some against their initial will but then becoming strong supporters of the movement.

A very descriptive story, strongly different characters all add interest to this story.

Sent to me by Netgalley courtesy of Lake Union Publishing for an unbiased review.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds fascinating! I love the cover though it doesn't really go with the time period (more Edwardian than Civil War). I love historical fiction and this time period appeals to me. I will have to look for it from the library. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do find some great looking books Mystica. I admit I'm often swayed by a gorgeous cover! If the story is good it's a bonus!

    Hope you are well - I've been traveling and am trying to catch up.

    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love that cover - it drew me in when I saw it on Netgalley and I really thought about asking for it but just didn't I'd have time. Sounds like one I would really have enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete