My Blog List

Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie

A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)


A strange notice appears in the local paper - a murder is to take place at 6.30 p m at Miss. Blackstone's house. The local populace is quite in an uproar as to what is actually happening - they presume its a murder party and though no one is specifically invited, everyone trots around on some excuse or the other, other than the Vicar's wife who is simple and straightforward.

Miss. Blackstone thinks the announcement is in bad taste, Dora who lives with her is frightened and the young cousins who also live with her think its a hoot. The time comes, everyone is assembled with sherry and pastries, the electricity goes off, there are a couple of shots and when the lights come back, a young man is found dead.

This is where Miss. Marple on the invitation of the Inspector comes in. As usual, with a very gentle air and seemingly unaware of anything happening around her, Jane Marple follows a system of deduction and observation closely and results are always assured.

Of course one never will guess who the murderer is, the reasons (always convoluted and complicated) for the murder and that is the beauty of Agatha Christie.

As usual loved the book.

This was a download from Open Library.

10 comments:

  1. I read a lot of Agatha Christie mysteries when I was a teenager but I can't remember if I read this one. I preferred Hercule Poirot to Miss Marple. I do think I may have watched a TV adaptation of the story but I don't remember who the killer is.

    Agatha Christie is my favorite mystery writer and I love how it is difficult or maybe impossible to guess the killer unlike with some mysteries I've read. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Agatha Christie and have read them all several times over, though mostly now I just watch Miss Marple and Poirot on TV (again and again!)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this book, it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one - she creates the most amazing atmosphere of village life, and the writing is so good one can re-read it endlessly despite knowing whodunnit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed this one. I have to get a few more with a bot larger print. The paperbacks are very tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm halfway through this on my kindle... need to get back to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get back to reading Agatha Christie's books. It's been a long time and they are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truth is I have never read a Miss Marple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I love a good Agatha Christie novel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've still never read a Ms. Marple book!

    ReplyDelete