My Blog List

Saturday, December 14, 2013

BALTIMORE BLUES by LAURA LIPPMAN


The cover of this book is so boring, the book start was also slow but it certainly picked up midway and ended well!!!

This is a series and the first where we meet Tess our unemployed journalist who is making do and working at several jobs some of them real dead end ones, so that she can make ends meet. Tess comes across at the beginning as rather inane - just willing to accept everything thrown at her and continue blithely along. She is not bitter fortunately at the turn of events but continues happily along.

The story starts when her fellow rower Rock employs her as private eye to tail his girlfriend as he feels that something is not quite right. Tess jumps at the chance as he is paying well and she does need the money.  Ava the girlfriend is seeing someone and Tess forces her to confess to Rock. When the man in question is found murdered, the inquiry turns its focus on Rock and he stands accused as being the murderer.

Tess absolutely certain of Rock's innocence sets off in pursuit of the actual killer endangering herself and those around her as well. Ending nicely with lots of twists and turns a very nice light read. 

I also enjoyed the book as it introduced me to Baltimore. I know very little about American geography and even less of small town living in the States so this is good reading for me.

5 comments:

  1. I really have been thinking I should pick up this series and I'm glad to hear that it's so good. Baltimore is actually a rather large city - sounds like Lippman makes it sound more intimate,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review Mystica, I just might add the title to my list.
    Small town USA living is quite different from anywhere in the world. As a city girl (born and bred) I much preferred it to living in the big metropolis...The countryside is always breathtaking and the sky so high...
    Happy Holidays Mystica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to read this series, but have read good reviews. I visited Baltimore many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have this book so I'm happy to read your review. Sounds like one I'd enjoy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete