My Blog List

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

THE HUSBAND'S SECRET by LIANE MORIARTY

The Husband's Secret

After simply ages, I got a book that I had to read in one go. The last week has been a very difficult one. Husband in hospital since last Sunday and discharged last night at 10 p.m. only but I did find that a hospital stay is a good time for reading. In between doctor's visits, medications and general work this book got read in a day and a bit!

Right at the start we know we are in for a rollicking ride. Cecilia discovers a letter dusty and forgotton in the attic "to be opened only on my death" sort of letter. She really is a good soul because she does not rip it open (I think nine out of ten women would have done that!) but it simmers within her and it is only her husband's rather strange behaviour which follows her telling him of the discovery that makes her open this letter. Right upto now Cecilia has been a model wife and mother to their three children, a pillar in the community, in the school and in the church. The letter and its contents disrupt not just Will and Cecilia's lives but everyone else around them.

Apart from the story of Cecilia and Will and their three children, we have two parallel stories of the Crowley family - Rachel who has faced a tragedy in her life 20 odd years ago, her daughter and grandson and then we have the O'Leary triangle of Tess, Will  and the cousin Felicity.

The meeting point for three diverse units is St. Angela's Primary. We also throw in an attractive PE teacher who has links with all and the setting is complete.

A story set mainly in Sydney, Australia beautifully told. Intense to the point of which you have to know what happens next. An author I am certainly going to be looking out for. The epilogue at the end was such a twist. Makes you ponder on your own life and the what ifs!!!

This was a book I had been following quite a bit and the way it came to me was so very unexpected. A friend came out from England with this book as a gift for the hostess. The hostess did not stand a chance - I grabbed it saying I will read and return asap. Which I did. So very very glad I did. 

13 comments:

  1. Books are such great distractions in time of trouble - I hope your week (and, of course, your husband!) improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear your husband was in the hospital, Mystica. I hope he's feeling well again very soon.
    I'm so glad you had a chance to read this book. I enjoyed it as much as you! I love how you got hold of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he's back to his old self soon. I'm glad you had this book with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your husband is doing better now Mystica, so glad you had such a great book to distract yourself with.

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking of your husband, Mystica, and hope he is doing better now. Was it anything serious? I hope not! I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't a reader at times like that.

    This book sounds really interesting. I love books set in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you had this book as you passed time waiting. Hope your husband is on the mend. I look forward to readin this book when I get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your husband is better. I loved this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had a good book to provide distraction while your husband was in the hospital. I've seen this book around a lot but with its US cover so originally it took me a bit to place it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your husband is feeling better. I'm glad to see you liked this book. I'm waiting on a copy to come from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know what to expect with this one and was afraid it would end up DNF, but I quickly revised my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this one, what a ride! I finally got my review scheduled lol Glad you enjoyed it too and hope your husband is doing a lot better!

    ReplyDelete