My Blog List

Saturday, November 16, 2013

MOONRISE by CASSANDRA KING

Moonrise

This was a win from Kathy at Bermudaonion. It was so timely because I have no reading material at all. Or rather the books I have, have been so disappointing its not true!

I have read stories where a house has been the main character and it has always been spectacular. This one was equally so. We have Helen - just married to the enigmatic and rather strong willed Emmett and both of them are returning to Moonrise to spend three months there. Moonrise belonged to Emmett's first wife Rosalynn who died tragically in a car crash. The people who live near Moonrise have been Rosalynn's friends and most of them are rather cautious in their welcome of Emmett and his new wife. After all Emmett married Helen less than one year after the death of his first wife and most of them disapproved of this short mourning period.

From the onset one knows that the characters in the story are more than what they seem. There seems to be many hidden agendas amongst them not just the fact that they are distraught over Rosalynn's death. One by one reasons, twisted and otherwise emerge and Helen and Emmett have to find a way to keep their marriage intact and their heads above the water in the face of all this.

I liked this book - it had elements of mystery, love and romance, thwarted love and a sense of the gothic particularly in relation to the house and the gardens. I hadn't heard of moon gardens before this and must investigate this further. I always like a book when it leaves me with something new I've learnt and this book did that as well.

Thanks Kathy and a very happy birthday to you today!

4 comments:

  1. Missed you Friend and hope all is well!
    Sounds like a title to add to my list, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy this author and look forward to this book. Glad it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds like my kind of book! Isn't Kathy generous? She's kindly sent me stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this so much! I've read all of King's other books and enjoyed them so I'm looking forward to this one. Did you know she's married to Pat Conroy?

    ReplyDelete