My Blog List

Friday, November 23, 2018

The Little Shop of Found Things by Paula Brackston



The Little Shop of Found Things by Paula Brackston


The title in itself was intriguing, the reviews certainly were and I learnt a new word psychometry.

Xanthe and Flora both want to leave their old life behind. Flora after a disastrous divorce where her husband is taking every penny he can get from the marriage, and Xanthe a love affair gone so bad that her lover was willing for her to go to prison rather than to own up to the drugs found in their apartment in a raid.

Finding fresh life in an antique shop in very village like Marlborough, we are then acquainted with Xante's unusual gift of actually being able to hear or feel messages through inanimate objects especially antiques. You know you've got a story going on here when a chatelaine -a piece of domestic jewellery actually sings to her and then the manifestation of a disfigured female appears in the form of a woman who is insistent that Xanthe goes back in time to find her daughter Alice and save her from death by hanging where she is unjustly accused of theft.

Time travel in the best possible way, an intriguing story of 17th century England, romance for Xanthe who knows that it just cannot be but this too in the most beautifully described way possible. Emotional, sad, joyful all at the same time Xanthe has to learn to balance life between 2017 and the 17th century as she flits in between two lifestyles trying to piece evidence and clear Alice's name.

I loved the story, loved the style of writing and hopefully will have more to look forward from this author.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of St. Martin's Press.

5 comments:

  1. Oh good, I'm glad you liked it as much as I did. Loved your review. I think I read its the first of a series so hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about the time travel to the 17th century but since both you and Mary liked it so much, I'd give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love time travel and this one intrigues me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - I love time travel and I liked this cover and title. So glad you enjoyed it and shared your thoughts. Hope all is calming at your end of the world.

    ReplyDelete