My Blog List

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Sense & Sensibility by Joanna Trollope

Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project, #1)

A favourite author of mine this Austen project was not going to be easy. Following in the footsteps of the Dashwoods etc and finding that it works in a different setting was a wonderful way to relive the book.

Following the plot to a T, ingenuously keeping to all the scenes which formed the core of the original story you are never bored with this book. Knowing very early on that it was going to follow the sequence of the original did not detract from this story. It added a piquancy that I needed to know how the next part was going to follow through in this modern setting.

We have all the modern add ins of social media, trolling, hair extensions, gay party planners, depression et al. We have Fanny Dashwood with her inherent nastiness and social climbing and her aspirations of grasping it all. We have Belle who seems so ineffective at times and then Elinor the stalwart and the only one who has a grasp on reality. The other members of the family shirk from talking about money, responsibility or working.

The one detraction if at all is that at times I felt it was like late 19th century but then with all the modern hoopla you knew you were right in at the 21st! Still a very enjoyable read and one I thoroughly liked.

From the Glen Waverley library in Melbourne 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book, too. I have also read and loved other books by Trollope. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet read the original and will probably want to do that before reading this one. I am glad you enjoyed it, Mystica!

    ReplyDelete