My Blog List

Saturday, February 14, 2015

From the Fifteenth District by Mavis Gallant






This collection of short stories has got very positive reviews and I was very keen to read this collection. Sadly though I found it tough going but I did finish the book.


I like the period and setting of WWI and II and this book was set during this period in Europe and displays various characterizations of people with all their eccentricities and quirks. We have a family moving away to France from England to escape not just the weather but also the rationing. Father is dying and the mother feels that the bracing weather of France is what he needs.   A group of English people living in Italy feel put down upon that Mussolini and Germany are actually going to affect their lives. A displaced soldier now makes a living as an actor in Paris and a widow comes to terms with her widowhood and makes a new start on her life much to the dismay of her children.


The stories in themselves are detailed and descriptive and it should have worked for me but it really didn't.  It was like the curate's egg good in parts for me and I was disappointed.


This was sent to me by Netgalley via Open Road Integrated Media. Thank you for sending me this book.

6 comments:

  1. You always read such interesting books. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not much of a short story reader, but your summary of the various stories sounds promising enough. Pity it didn't quite work out for you, but good on you for hanging in there with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of short stories or historical fiction but that's got a great cover! Very alluring!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one does look good...I like short story collections when a theme connects them. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when people are honest about books! I would rather know and find something else.
    Thanks for entering the teacup cupcake giveaway! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete