My Blog List

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Old Bones Lie by Marion Todd

I am still in Melbourne though visits to the library were few and far between! I've had plenty of books on my Kindle to catch up on and it is rather necessary as I seem to be lagging way behind on some of them. It is still very cold (cold for my tropical bones anyway) with no sign of letting up. I think the weather will ease by September but by then I'll be back in humid and hot Sri Lanka! This book started out like all detective stories do. A mystery but with no dead bodies strangely. A prisoner going on a visit for a funeral goes missing along with the two prison officers accompanying him, and the van. Strangely their two wives were abducted simultaneously and returned unharmed a couple of days later. That was stranger then one of the detectives wanders into the precinct unharmed, the other is still missing. That is the scenario for DI Claire Mackay to sort out and she is now over ruled by the big boss in the form of Ben who turns up, takes over the investigation, leaving a now murder vicitim to Claire's detecting skills. Ben is secretive, shares very little information seems to be going over Claire's head. The story uncovered finally is something else. The murder of one woman was almost an accident, the prison escape was carefully planned and all to solve a robbery of years past worth a good packet of money. Everyone seems to be linked but it is hard to link them together. Sent by Canelo for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley.

3 comments:

  1. I like a murder mystery without a body.

    I envy you the cooler temperatures you are experiencing. But, perhaps, it's a bit too cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cold" sounds very good to me just now as we suffer through our 100 degrees F. days which are likely to continue for several more weeks. October can't get here fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did we travel before Kindles? I remember all the stacks of books I used to pack and would sometimes still run through them. This sounds like a great mystery and one I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete