My Blog List

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

The Sailor from Casablanca by Charline Malaval

18 year old Guillame was out to conquer the world when he set forth on his travels and landed in Casablance. Sadly cut off in his prime by an explosion that was the end and the year was 1940. Fast forward to 2005 and the discovery of a whole lot of love letters leads to the surprising conclusion that Guillame could very well be alive and with one of his many girl friends. Each chapter is told by someone who is trying to unearth the mystery of Guillame but none by himself so that he remains fairly enigmatic throughout. A mix of genres which added to the interest - lots of actual history, then family stories and romance as well. Sent by Hodder & Stoughton courtesy of Netgalley for an unbiased review.

5 comments:

  1. You've certainly caught my interest! Love letters and a character revealed only through the perceptions of others--I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of reading a story told through many voices, though I don't think I have read a multi-narrative style in several years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting format for the novel! I like the idea and would like to read this one too, I think. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete