My Blog List

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

The story is so whimsical you think it is comic, then it becomes tragi comedy, then you get serious stuff thrown in and then you get down to earth stuff so the whole cycle is represented. I would not call it laugh out loud funny but it is quirky definitely. The story is about a bridge, attempted suicide and actual suicide, then it devolves into an apartment viewing, an idiotic hostage situation and then how it is resolved, a family tension on the side between a father and son due to miscommunication more than anything else and it all dovetails neatly. A lot of strange, strong characters somehow mesh. You have to work your way through this story. Sent by Atria Books courtesy of Netgalley for an unbiased review.

9 comments:

  1. Seems like there's a lot going on in this novel. Like the title, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this book. I plan to write a review at the end of the week, I just finished the book 3 days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got a chance to try this one. It was quirky but, I was surprised by the seriousness as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve noticed this one of quite a few blogs, thanks for sharing, it certainly sounds quirky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is next on my list of reads. Having read your review, I'm even more interested in getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked it but not my favorite Backman. Glad I read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read Ove by Backman and liked it but really struggled with the suicide aspects of that book so I think I may give this one a pass. I'm glad you enjoyed it though! I love Backman's writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Backman's books are always such a good blend of the comic, the tragic - they show all of the human emotions. Always enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've enjoyed Backman's work before and am looking forward to reading this one. His books always seem to be a bit of a mix of serious and humor, I've found!

    ReplyDelete