My Blog List

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Have you seenn Luis Velez by Catherine Ryan Hyde




This was a joyous book to read. Like it said in the book, most older folk seemed to have given up on young people. Their indifference, their attitude to very old, slow folk is degrading and some of them look through them as if they didnt exist. Then you come across someone like Raymond and your entire view of life changes. You think there is hope for the human race.

Millie is old and blind and dependent on a young man called Luis Velez for assistance - to the bank, to the grocery. When he does not turn up for three weeks, she is on the point of starvation but she does not want to worry social services or anyone for that matter. She steps out of her apartment and for her good fortune and also for our young man, they meet and the rest is the story.

The search for Luis Velez goes on privately by Raymond who is horrible conflict at home. He is the odd one out in a family of white, he is black and is made to feel alone by all, including his mother who shows no empathy and particularly no sensitivity to her son who is struggling to just fit in. At his father's house, his father's second wife shows no hesitation in showing her dislike that he is part of her husband's responsibilities even though it is only twice a month. She resents this and shows it.

That Raymond turns out the way he did, is a marvel. He could have been a grouch, he could have been frustrated, angry and annoyed at the deal the world dealt him but he just handled it and went on with it.

The story was descriptive, detailed and though there were no entirely happy endings it ended on a note of hope and love.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Lake Union Publishing. 

6 comments:

  1. This one has been on my wish list. You make it sound like one I would love; thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get this for my 92 year old mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read some fab stories about older people recently and this one looks like a novel I would enjoy too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved this! I really need to read more of this author. I really think her style just works for me as I've truly adored every book I've read of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve heard lots of good things about this book.

    ReplyDelete