My Blog List

Monday, February 25, 2019

A Murder Unmentioned by Sulari Gentill



Having finished the book in record time, I am so sad that I could not get to all the books by this author. I just missed out one by a couple of days as it is archived, but I did get one at least.

Rowland Sinclair is an odd bird for the upper classes. He is more democratic, has communist ideals, does not fit in with the hounds and huntin groups, does not conform to finding a deb and a suitable bride and seems to have an eclectic bunch of friends. He is also financially independent, artistic (paintings not considered  exhibition worthy because of their content!) but is a happy man.

His father's death several years ago was always under suspicion. He was found shot one evening when Rowland was just a teenager and Wilfred the elder a few years older. Now the case is being resurrected, and a series of happenings show that there is a sinister hand afoot, giving out information which was private and within the family. A series of accidents involving Rowland, Wilfred's children  is too much to be a coincidence and the whole family is on guard.

Set in Australia on sweeping farms, with tones of more Downton Abbey than rural Australia this was descriptive and very good reading. The characterization of all was varied and added to the interest in the story. The uncovering of the villain in the piece was done step by step and the general telling of a simple mystery murder/s was very well handled.

I enjoyed my introduction to this author and will be looking out for more books.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Poisoned Pen Press.

4 comments:

  1. I like more gentle (for lack of a better word) mysteries like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good! My kind of mystery :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good. Sorry you didn't get to the other book before it was archived. I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete