My Blog List

Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Secrets we Keep by Mia Hayes




Jason and Elizabeth have escaped the great city life for suburbia. On the surface it seems it is for a quieter pace of life, or maybe to give their sons a home town feel absent in big cities. Both of them are harbouring secrets though - if it gets out it could put paid to their idyllic lifestyle which they seem to have.

Seem to have is the operative word because this is keeping up with the Joneses big time. Elizabeth wants or rather needs to be in the big league of this small town. Being a Periphery Girl is not enough. She has to be in the thick of things. Having a bi polar disorder and trying to balance being the king pin is not easy and it is beginning to take its toll. The partying, the constant drinking does not seem to help either. Jason starts out as being a supportive husband. He was the initial cause for Elizabeth's collapse, but halfway through you begin to question his actions. I even began to question Elizabeth's therapist, whether she and Jason were in cahoots!

An anonymous blog dislodges an avalanche of secret information - from affairs both past and present, financial situations and family secrets. Who is this blogger and each post brings about more and more disasters in the lives of Waterford residents. Life in the suburbs and being in your thirties is not easy anymore. Its very uncomfortable and even reading about it, put me on edge.

Small town petty jealousies were here amplified to the point that it seemed as if people needed to be vicious and destructive and to see people brought down.

For me personally it all sounded far fetched but then I come from an Asian setting where all this sounds like Dynasty amplified but then the story sounds like this is quite normal for rich families in America! 

Very entertaining reading and a good read (though I do have my reservations on the characters!!!)

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Finnstar.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm not sure about this one Mystica! I hope there was some kind of resolution and some hope for the characters by the end of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anyone who lives like that but the book does sound entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun read. I'm with Kathy; I can't say I know anyone who lives like that.

    ReplyDelete