My Blog List

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Recommendations

I have been meticulous this time around whilst in Melbourne to write down recommendations from book blogs I follow and like about what books are good and what would interest me. Sadly though many of these books are not available in the local library but what I have found are that books by the same author printed earlier on are available. This is what I have been reading and have found these books really good.

I could not get Still Missing by Beth Gutcheon (which I really, really want to read) but was able to get Goodbye and Amen - slightly tongue in the cheek humor. Parents suddenly die and all their worldly goods are being divided between their offspring. I also could not get The Weed that strings the Hangmans Bag (review on Savidge Reads inspired me) by Alan Bradley but was able to get The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie which I havent read as yet. Looking forward to that one.

I just finished Garden Spells (will not do a full review as this has been reviewed over and over again!). I loved the book for its differentness... slightly magical, not overtly so, down to earth and so very good.

I also finished Manna from Hades by Carola Dunn. Set in Cornwall which I always like for some strange reason (must be the early influence of Daphne du Maurier) its a mystery murder a very cozy one with an easy pace, and very descriptive. I would say slightly old fashioned with an Agatha Christie type of book which I very much enjoy.

In the list of finished books was Jeffrey Archer's very different Paths of Glory - I found this very different to his other books but nevertheless enjoyed it. A story of Geoffrey, son a very middle class background who aspires and reaches the very height of mountain climbing ending with his tragic death in the Himalayas. A slower paced book but one that was interesting as well.

Have just over a week now in Melbourne so back to my TBR.

1 comment:

  1. Hi thanks for visiting and the reco on Carola Dunn. Glad to see you liked it. It's on the list!
    Have a good week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete