My Blog List

Sunday, December 17, 2023

The Fall of the House of Borgia E R Chamberlain

 




The history of the Vatican is interesting to put it mildly. That it was not just that - that it was manipulative, murderous, incestuous and every shade of corruption in between is being about right. The history is chequered with every human frailty that one can imagine and the Borgias were one family which encapsulated all of the above.

This was a complicated book, which I read over a period of a couple of months. It had to be digested in small doses as it was not easy to read (I am a Catholic myself). But it was excellent historical reading which anyway cannot be erased, however unpalatable it would be!!

As another reviewer explained, the author states clearly facts as what is written and tabulated from hearsay and fiction which could be greatly exaggerated to suit the whims of enemies and competitors. This was a highlight for me.

Sent by Sapere Books for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley. My apologies for the delay.


2 comments:

  1. It does sound interesting but quite dense.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete