My Blog List

Saturday, September 24, 2022

Murder by the Book by Martin Edwards

The collection of short stories in this book were all very good. They were mainly puzzles and you had to be imaginative in seeing what was beyond the actual happening and then piece it together. I couldn't do it but the way the stories unravelled were rivetting. A murder on a train was one of the more easily solved crimes, but the story of a deceased leaving clues was very enjoyable. A Savage Game was set in a country house (I always like those settings) and was cleverly done. A Man and his Mother in Law was also clever where the murderer was caught because he thought he was so clever. It was through a sale of a book that he got caught! Dear Mr. Editor - the writer was mad and that set the tone of the story. The collection was very relaxed reading. It was not edge of the seat suspense but it reflected a slower pace of life and detection. It also described the conventions and stereotyping that happened at the time which was fair. Sent by Poisoned Pen Press for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley.

5 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying short stories more than I have in the past and, this sounds like a good collection. Dark Tales: Stories by Shirley Jackson was one recent collection that I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read a lot of short stories, but this collection does sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like short stories and have enjoyed books by this author in the past! This looks like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not tried this author. SOunds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a challenge in reader sleuthing. Glad it was a relaxing book.

    ReplyDelete