My Blog List

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

An Artful Corpse by Helen A. Harrison

Benton is an accomplished artist but he is brash, rude and an unforgiving critic. To the point that it is not criticism but seems very personal. When his body is found murdered in a gruesome fashion in a famous Manhattan Art School, everyone wants to get to the bottom of it and set it to rest because both studients and teachers are jittery. Uncovering the why and how shows a trail of people who intensely disliked Benton, but whether it was enough for him to be murdered is left to be seen. Everyone who is suspect has an iron clad alibi and it is left to a young student who is trying to clear his friend's name to start a private investigation with a few leads that he has picked up. The 1960s are very well depicted here - from draft dodgers, to the music scene, to the beginning of people coming out openly, the mistrust that gays and lesbians had to face, the bigotry, all detailed very well and brings the 60s to life here. Plenty of characters in the story, sometimes one too many, but a good story. Sent by Poisoned Pen Press for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley.

4 comments:

  1. Books can have too many characters sometimes, can't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if its because I lived through the era but the 60s and 70s are my least favorite historical eras. I'm glad you found the story good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've read many mysteries set in the 1960's. I will have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an unusual timeline for this mystery, I'm curious although, sometimes too many characters frustrates me these days.

    ReplyDelete