My Blog List

Sunday, June 27, 2021

All That Lingers by Irene Wittig

Every other read I pick up seems to be of the WWII vintage. Each story is different though a common theme of anti Nazism seems to run through it all. No one likes being submissive to a foreign invader, and this is something that has happened through the centuries (still happening sadly). Emma is our chief character but the story of Sophie and Uncle Freidrich are paramount to the story too. Set in Vienna, the idyllic period of Austrian history was about to be demolished and in its place a more darker part of history began. It is also surprising that Austria did not acknowledge this dark period in its history till very much later. Emma is leading a very comfortable life, well established when her eyes are opened to an alternate life for those around her - the Jews and those who are not sympathetic to the Nazi cause. The story was unusual. It did not end in 1945 but it continued into the next generation. This was an unusual take on WWII and the rise of Nazism in Europe, and then the eventual downfall. Sent by BooksGoSocial for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley.

5 comments:

  1. You are right; WWII books are very common. I wonder why we love these so much. Is it because it's clear who the bad guys are? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to read this book. Thank you for sharing. Though many of your observations about that time are correct. I’m so glad to have found your blog. Have a beautiful day.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting. There are a lot of WWII books right now - I'm not sure why. I love to read about all time periods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very good. I like that it's a bit unusual for a WWII novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WWII settings are definitely hard to avoid right now! This one sounds a bit different which intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete