My Blog List

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Shanghai Secrets by Sulari Gentill

Sulari Gentill has done it again! Another very good book from this author. The whole story is based on a single premise. Rowland Sinclair is sent to Shanghai to represent his brother with a wool consortium, not to negotiate, not to purchase, not to sign anything but to show that by sending his brother, he gave the consortium the respect and the "face" that they deserve. Rowland is accompanied by Clive and Milton and Edna on a first class journey and then a hotel in Shanghai. Rowland did not expect to face any serious threats enroute or in Shanghai but from the word go, he was assaulted, threatened and then faced with a murder charge and imprisoned. Most unfair and very brutal and all with the idea of using blackmail to get him to sign the agreements. When Rowland knew that Nazi influenced Germans were behind the Japanese bids, nothing on earth would prevail to get him to sign. Hence the punishment which almost left him for dead. The findings were surprising. It was not just the Japanese consortium that wanted the Sinclair wool, but it was big brother Wilfred's best friend Gilbert Carmel who was desperate to get Rowland to sign and did not care if Rowland died after signing the agreement and who was the mastermind behind the whole scheme. I finished the book in one go, always sad because I have nothing else from this author on my Kindle. Thats the bad part. Sent by Poisoned Pen Press for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley, this was a delight.

5 comments:

  1. Poisoned Pen does have some good books. I like that many have a good mystery but not too gory in general. I like what you had to say about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this author, but I like the premise of this one. I'll have to take a closer look. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so fun! I want to read it after reading your review! I am glad you enjoyed it so much, Mystica.

    ReplyDelete