My Blog List

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Sing me a Secret by Julie Houston




Four sisters all very different, but very loyal to each other, and like all families having secrets some common to them, some private to one or a couple of them.


The story set in Scotland is in itself picturesque. The loyalty that all of them have to their original place of birth is very nice to see. The sisters despite their difficulty in coping with a romeo type father and a mentally depressed mother who was besotted with her husband were not judgemental of either party though they did accept their limitations.


How the sisters whose paths were so diverse came together in a mix of family secrets unearthed, blackmail, domestic abuse, infidelity and a super performance of a musical in a village is this story.


Funny as in laugh out funny, but with strong overtones of a family story, I do hope there will be a sequel. The author will have to find something if there is a sequel because there is a lot going on in this busy story.


Enjoyed the read tremendously.


Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Aria.


On a covid 19 note, we are "supposed" to be lifting restrictions tomorrow but it is very restricted actually. Only people going to work can use public transport, only those whose Identity cards ends with one and two can go on Monday etc. I hope everyone follows these rules. Shops can open, not salons no liquor or wine shops can open. Entry to offices are restricted - it is tough because for the last few weeks I am trying to get into a Land Registry type of office to attend to a legal matter and cannot. I've been told maybe in June! I doubt anyone will go for breaking the rules - violation is upto two years rigorous imprisonment and a fine!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like your country has very strict stay at home orders. Ours in my part of the U.S. (Arizona) are much more lenient. Restaurants, movie theaters, and salons are open now. We've still been basically staying home, just in case. It's still scary out there! I hope you are staying safe and healthy and that you're still able to get your business done before too long!

    On a lighter note, this book sounds really good. I like novels about sisters, so I'm going to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete