My Blog List

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Chocolate House Treason by David Fairer




1708 England was an interesting time. Queen Anne's reign was anything but routine and scandal was rife. There were spies everywhere. The celebrations for the Queen's birthday are all being planned and with a big fireworks display as well.


In Covent Garden we have a coffee house newly opened and Mary Trotter at the helm hoping that this house will lead the way for intellectuals to gather to have discourse and conversations on a higher level. She did not expect to face the problems she did.


Full of historical detail of a period not very often found, it was an interesting account of the times. The characterization was very good with three people trying to help out a publisher falsely accused. Not easy in these times.


I am only sorry that it took me so long to get to this book. Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Matador



1 comment:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed Chocolate House of Treason. I haven't read too many books set around that time. It sounds like a worthwhile read!

    I hope you are well, Mystica.

    ReplyDelete