My Blog List

Monday, February 20, 2017

Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh





The story is dismal. Eileen is 24, unattractive and makes herself even more so, works in a boys prison with harsh colleagues. She is friendless, suspicious herself of everyone, has to return home to an abusive, alcoholic father and her life seems to be at a dead end. There is no future for her at all.

Rebecca's  entrance to the story brought some welcoming lightness. She seemed a normal, attractive, fun loving young woman who showed Eileen glimpses of a world which were for her were rare. Unfortunately Rebecca had her own agenda and ensnaring Eileen was one of them.

The ending was a bit flat for me though the character of Eileen though very repulsive makes for compelling reading. Her psche bordered on the weird but it kept you reading hoping for better things to come. It never did!

I found this a puzzling book because most of the time I was reading without getting involved like I would normally do. It was not a book however that I could leave half way done either.

Sent to me by Netgalley, for an unbiased review, courtesy of Random House  UK, Vintage Publishing.













2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your thoughts on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds rather grim. I think I'd have to be in the right mood to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete