My Blog List

Friday, January 11, 2013

A TASTE FOR DEATH by P D JAMES




I love P D James's books and only dread me coming to the end of the list! This was once again absolutely delightful.

We have a tramp and a baronet - found murdered, throats slashed in the vestry of a very ordinary church. No links between the two and a more unlikely pair you could never come across but there you have it. An Adam Dalgleish detective spectacular. In the most unobstrusive, logical manner they are (sorry I forgot Kate Miskin and Massingham) working blind trying to find some chink in the murderer's armour, some small slip which will be the short end of the wedge as it were to solve the crime.

We have an upper class family closing ranks, but there are small upheavals. A second wife, beautiful and spoilt who thinks the world should revolve around her, her lover a famous gynaecologist who is also her cousin, we have Lady Ursula the matriarch who knows much more than what she reveals, a jealous, envious brother in law and subordinates treated as servants in the household.  We also have a very mild mistress self effacing and selfless and a rebel daughter who wants to make a statement. All have reasons for murder in  plenty but tying them down and proving it is not going to be easy.

P D James is a very descriptive writer - both of places, people, events and happenings in general. One is kept enthralled by the language used (I've picked up a couple of new words in fact from this one!) and the final effect of the writing is superb.

A wonderful read.

6 comments:

  1. I really need to read a book by PD James. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the list Mystica just because I loved your review (job well done Friend!). Hav e you heard of her latest: Death comes to Pemberley?
    Loved to hear your thoughts on it!
    All the best,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her work too but haven't read any of it in a while. Her mysteries are great without being overly violent or gory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mystica,

    Thank you for always leaving such sweet comments on my blog. They are much appreciated. I am a fan of the books by P.D. James too. I am reading the lighthouse right now :-)

    Have a lovely Sunday!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could send you some cool temps....Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. PD James is one new author for my list in 2013. Glad u enjoyed this one. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete