My Blog List

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Review - A Tudor Tragedy by Lacey Baldwin Smith

This is a mini review since I seem to have a bit of time to spare! Apart from the time as I mentioned before everything in the computer world has crashed and its a horrible feeling knowing that I am beholden to my daughter having to wait till she is free for me to grab her laptop! Definitely not a nice feeling.

This was a book which I picked up from a second hand bookshop in Colombo a while ago. It looked quite old and dusty and has been printed in 1961. The cover is mainly black, white and a touch of grey with an outline of Catherine Howard in the form of a jigsaw puzzle. It was the cover that pulled me in initially.

I have read quite a few books on the infamous Henry VIII and his wives but this book was totally different. It not only dealt with Henry and Catherine in particular but it dealt in depth with the life and times of the Tudor era. The way they lived, managed their estates - in fact all aspects of Tudor life which made the book interesting - the clothes they wore, the gargatun amounts of food they put away and even household accounts.

One is aware with the Tudor era of no surprises - most of the wives die anyway but the wheeler dealing which surrounded the king and his entourage is second to none of the very modern world.

The book was an interesting one for anyone who likes history not just the Tudors. I do not know whether the book is even published now - my copy is by the Alden Press.

10 comments:

  1. I've been reading novels about the Tudor period recently - Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett - and I think I'd like this book. It sounds full of information. I hope my library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you found quite a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you find books you don't know about that turn out to be really interesting - I love to know about the everyday detail of life in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your computer woes come to an end soon!

    I haven't read a Henry VIII book in about a year now, but when I'm in the mood I'll have to consider this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tudor era has endless fascination for a lot of readers. My teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for checking out our blog!

    Nice review! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You inspire me to read more! I enjoy your book info and this review is good. Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like an interesting read; thanks for mentioning this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to read books from the Tudor era. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one sounds good and I've not heard of it before. The Tudors are my absolute favorite period.

    ReplyDelete