My Blog List

Friday, July 2, 2010

Review D E Stevenson - Mrs Tim of the Regiment


This book one of a series published originally in 1932 and has been blogged about so much that I felt I should get my hands on at least one of the books. I was happy that I got the first of the series. I do not know whether the series are inter linked but this was a good choice for me.

The story centres around Hester a much harried housewife and mother and wife to Tim an army man. The story presumes that men of the time do not seem to be aware of domestic issues and the problems surrounding them but expect with the proper financial assistance that wives should be able and willing to provide all creature comforts to both husbands and children, and that it should be smooth sailing throughout.

The story is in a diary form of both mundane and unusual day to day incidents of a wife and particularly of a military one which entails moving house (a huge undertaking in that period of time) and the fact that it has to be done efficiently and smoothly with the least hindrance to Tim makes it seem as if Tim is an uncaring man. It is not so. Tim is very much in love with his wife and vice versa - the sad part is that he does not seem to be able to show his affection and feelings (probably again going back to the sentiments of the time).

The book is charming and nostalgic of a period gone by - the dialogue is vivacious and witty and though daily happenings in Hester's life can be thought to be boring it isnt so. I was very glad that I was able to get this book and hopefully will be able to get the rest of the series. One book blogger has said the style of writing is something like Delafield's Diary of a Provincial Lady. I think I will go look for that next.

No comments:

Post a Comment