My Blog List

Friday, September 29, 2023

The Murderess by Jennifer Wells

 

I am systematically going through all my unread books on my Kindle. This is one of them.

The story set just before the Great War and during the war centers around  the Paxton family, once gentry now impoverished. We have Hugh who only knows the life of a gentleman and is confused and troubled how to live any other way. His wife who is the owner of the Grange, refuses to sell out of a sense of belonging. There is a young daughter Kate who is pivotal to the story. 

The discovery of a mistress of Hugh, the former maid sends Millicent over the edge, but the actual beginning of the story starts years later, with a murder and we go backwards and forwards with the story both leading to the murder, and then after the murder.

Very intense, very well told, the reader is left to analyse the emotions involved as events are set out as it happens, very precise, very clinical. Unusual but very good reading.

Sent by Aria for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley.

4 comments:

  1. I like the Great War era so this grabbed my attention. Thanks for sharing.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go through the books I have on my Kindle and read them down, too.

    Glad to see how much you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to work on getting through the books on my e-reader. The Murderess does sound unusual but good. I am glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intense and well told makes for a good novel.

    ReplyDelete