My Blog List

Sunday, September 26, 2021

Murder Most Fair by Anna Lee Huber (*****)

I am a fan of Anna Lee Huber. The fact that I've not read many of her books is because I've not been able to access them easily. The setting, the style of Verity - her flair, unusual boldness and independence in the time of stultifying feminine expectations especially since she did come from an upper class of society all added to the verve in the book (s). Verity has worked for the Secret Service during WWII. Bound by the Official Secrets Act no one other than her husband and colleagues know exactly the demanding work she undertook. Her mother thinks the family has been ignored because Verity was being a social butterfly in London. This has caused a deep rift further heightened because Verity has not come home for five years since the death of her beloved brother Rob. For Verity the wounds are too raw to face a home without her beloved brother. In this story with the antagonism against anything German at its height, Verity's German aunt and her maid descend on London unexpectedly with worries of their own. Taking her aunt to the family home in a small village with strong anti German feelings was not the best scenario but the best that Verity and Sydney could undertake. A secret of years past, a vendetta on the part of the Germans, antagonism of locals and suspicion against Verity herself from the village where she grew are all part of this very attractive package wrapped up in the most beautiful writing. So very grateful to Kensington Books, Kensington for sending this on to me, for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley.

5 comments:

  1. I get frustrated when I find an author I like and I can't easily access her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good, sorry some books are a problem getting a hold of. I recently saw a book on a blog I wanted to read but, it wasn't out in the US yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear you don't have easy access to her books but I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I thought this was such a good read too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one. The previous ones I got from the library which was nice. Pity you can't access easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of Anna Lee Huber, too. Although I haven't read any of her Verity books. Yet. :)

    ReplyDelete