My Blog List

Sunday, August 11, 2019

The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia



Translated into English the book is a mix of history, a family saga with a touch of mysticism, something faintly not quite of this world which is not understood by all and misunderstood by many.

Mexico is on the verge of revolution, bandits and the rule of force apply but in this small town
Francisco is able to maintain his position as head of the estates he owns by a mix of firm discipline and kindliness to all.  In the midst of all this is born a mute, a child who is led and protected by bees and seems to have his own fore knowledge of events about to happen. Francisco is blessed with a son years after the birth of his two daughters who are now married. This boy is the link between the mute Simonopio and the little boy whom he takes under his wing as a guide and protector.

The story evolves with the background history of Mexico turbulent at most times but the story seems to be set in an oasis of peace till of course strife hits out in the most heinous way.

Unlike others I found the story very slow moving at the beginning, but by midway it picked up and I did want to know how it all ended.

A very unusual read combining many genres all fascinating.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Amazon Crossing.


6 comments:

  1. I love the cover and the title but would have to be in the right mood to pick this up because of the slow start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy of this one; I do like the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the kindle book and hope to get to it soon. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got put off by the title. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thought as I read your review was how fascinating this book sounds. It does sound unusual. I am glad it got better after a slow start. Sometimes I don't mind slow starts, but other times I can be impatient with them. This sounds like a book worth being patient for.

    ReplyDelete