My Blog List

Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Mortal Blow (Lady Fan Mysteries) by Elizabeth Bailey


The year 1791 and Lady Ottilia and Lord Francis are on their way to see his mother when in a woodland a woman stands stock still in the middle of the road, covered in blood. Thinking it may be an ambush they are cautious in approaching the woman, but Fan realises that she is almost catatonic and unaware of who and what they are.

Investigations reveal a dead man minus any injuries so where did the blood come from? Lady Fan her investigative antenna fully operational takes on the woman and the case which unravels slowly but surely with French emigres, a fanatic pastor father and a woman frail, fragile and at risk of hanging for murder in the absence of any other possible suspect and no witnesses.

My first foray into Lady Fan mysteries and I am a fan. I also like history and the setting was marvellous. Very descriptive of London in all areas from the high brow aristocratic circles to the poorest of the poor.

Slow deduction of this mystery murder added to the interest.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Sapere Books.








2 comments:

  1. I like to read a historical mystery occasionally so I'm glad this one was a winner for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I abandoned the first one--not sure why, but I read and enjoyed Deathly Portents and The Mortal Blow!

    ReplyDelete