My Blog List

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Death Comes to Call by Clare Chase


Death Comes to Call (Tara Thorpe Mystery #3)


Tara Thorpe is a young detective in the Cambridge police force. She is not without her enemies though within and outside the force. Having being stalked from the age of eighteen Tara has developed a keen sense of self preservation especially since the stalker was never found.

Now after a death defying solving of a crime, Tara and the team face the problem of solving another murder. A young woman strangled on a lonely stretch of the fens, followed by the death of her lover opens the field to many suspects. There is the husband and boyfriend (before his death), the employer who shows a sense of being jittery and nervous way beyond his feelings as an employer, there is the victim's brother and the list goes on. Each one has to have their alibis checked and double checked, motives if any ruled out and seeing whether old enmities exist within the family.

Tara is working closing on the case with her boss Blake. There are a few other detectives on the case and her unorthodox methods and tendency to not work as a team can get people riled. To top it all, she is aware that her former employer (a magazine) hates her guts and will do anything to bring her down, insidiously planting vicious rumours about her work ethic and her morals.

This was a very good mystery murder. I would not call it a cozy as it went beyond the cozy! I liked the characterization, the descriptiveness of the Fens and the way the suspense built up to an ending that got me by surprise.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of Bookouture.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very good murder mystery. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I think I would like. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good one, although there might be a few too many people out to get Tara for me. Lately, I've been liking my mysteries a little more on the cozy side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might like this one too! Thank you for bringing it to my attention, Mystica.

    ReplyDelete