My Blog List

Friday, April 8, 2022

Murder at Primrose Cottage (Flora Steele mystery) Merryn Allingham

It was the bookshop owner bit that drew me in first time around and this is my second read of the series. The books are fine as a stand alone, always a good thing. Flora is accompanying Jake on his writing expedition. He has to write a book (he has promised his publisher) and Flora is there to make sure that research and helping him out to achieve this. She did not expect in rural Cornwall in a most picturesque setting to find a body. The body of the owner of the cottage brutally murdered just a few hours after they met. Local detectives seem to be taking their own sweet time in linking the dots, finding suspects so Flora decides to pursue her own investigation into the case. Both Flora and Jake did not imagine it would take them to the post WWII years and a secret that had to be hidden at any cost - both of them were totally oblivious of what was happening but when a series of accidents could not be written off as mere coincidence they do realise it is imperative to find out who is behind the whole dangerous game. This was a beautiful setting, very descriptive and though Flora and Jake are sometimes quite quirky it all dovetails very neatly into a very readable story. Sent by Bookouture for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley.

5 comments:

  1. Quirky characters and set in Cornwall? This one sounds like a mystery I would enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding to my TBR. So glad it can stand alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bookshop owner probe will draw me in as well for sure!

    Sounds like a good read yes!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm adding this one to my list as well! I love when mysteries take us to the past. I love the title as well!

    ReplyDelete