My Blog List

Saturday, January 22, 2022

The Library by Bella Osborne

I keep reading and seeing the images of snow sweeping across parts of America. Here we are suffering from one of hottest periods of the year. It should'nt be like this. January is not a very hot humid month. We are promised rain, yesterday there was lightening and thunder aplenty but absolutely no rain - at least not where I live. I do wish some of that cold weather would sweep across Sri Lanka soon. It is not going to happen though. The read ! A story of how two people of vastly different generations - one a youngster, a bit brash, definitely unused to social situations and how to mix with people and then we have Maggie - a loner, running a run down farm with sheep and hens and managing somehow. They meet in the library because this is where Tom hopes to fix an interest with a girl but he does not have a clue how to go about it. Tom has issues with his father who has got into a slump of drinking and working and sleeping and who has no idea how to show affection to his son who is also suffering all alone, after his mother passed away. It does not seem that there is common ground for an acquaintance to grow but rescuing Maggie from a hoodlum who snatches her bag sets events in motion and the library setting helps the two characters along. Tom evolves into a helping caring person and Maggie finds companionship and friendship with an unlikely teenager. The bits and pieces in between add so much interest - especially when the library is threatened with closure and how a community comes together to try to save it. Very nice reading. A matter of fact look at life from two sides of the age divide. Sent by Aria & Aries for an unbiased review, courtesy of Netgalley.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this too, a feel good kind of read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this, too. Everyone is better in the end, and that's what I enjoy in a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this book but several people have read it so it might be worth looking for! It's snowing here and I wish we could swap weather for a day or more! Happy reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure some of those in the colder spots in the U.S. would be happy to share their cold weather with you if possible. I have heard good things about The Library. It sounds like a charming read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to resist a book set in and around a library. I like the sound of this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love multigenerational friendship stories and of course I can't resist a book involving a library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of this one--the library setting helps, but the friendship of Tom and Maggie sounds especially interesting.

    ReplyDelete