My Blog List

Monday, January 22, 2018

The Assassin of Verona by Benet Brandreth


The Assassin of Verona (William Shakespeare Thriller #2)


Looking at Shakespeare from this angle was a totally different experience. These are considered a story on the "lost" years of which I knew nothing so I came to this story with an open mind. 

My knowledge of Shakespeare is limited to what I learnt in school. We actually did quite a lot of it but some of it just does not register at the age of 14! it should be taught to over 40s actually as it will make sense then. Anyway history and plenty of it, fiction and a clever author blend into a story that is fascinating and enthralling. 

Working as a spy for the Queen, uncovering a papal plot to assassinate the Queen it is upto Shakespeare and his cohorts to uncover the culprits and bring them to the Queen's attention before it is too late

The tale gets more complicated by romance, corrupt officials, ruthless clergymen and Shakespeare has to somehow find his way back to England.

I enjoyed the story of historical fiction peopled by very well known characters (with a twist of course).

My reviews posted from Melbourne are complicated! Blogger is not allowing me at times to access my blog. Today was a lucky stroke where I am able to post reviews on books I've read and posted reviews elsewhere.

On another note the temperatures in Melbourne sky rocketing as they are right now are not conducive to anything even reading. Coming from very tropical Sri Lanka I am very surprised how difficult I am finding to cope with Melbourne heat.









6 comments:

  1. I agree about Shakespeare, I feel like if I were studying him now I would get it so much more! And hope the heat moderates for you soon!

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading historical fiction with real-life characters and this book sounds fascinating. While I, too, read Shakespeare in school, I'd more than keen to read about the bard's exploits as a "spy" for the Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun one.
    I hope it cools down a bit for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melbourne can get really hot, although I was over there and it was in a cold time so it gets both. I totally agree with you over Shakespeare. This book sounds like a very good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds intriguing. I love the new twist on Shakespeare. Thank-you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that soaking up/comprehending Shakespeare at a tender age is very difficult. However, I do recall with much fondness, a 1959 school trip (l went to school in England) at age 15, which took us, by train, to Stratford-Upon-Avon to see 'Othello' starring Paul Robeson, with a young Albert Finney, Vanessa Redgrave, Diana Rigg etc. - a great cast. How wonderful was that! We also visited other historic Shakespearian places whilst there.
    I may try to get a copy of this intriguing book Mystica.

    I didn't know you were now living in OZ - have not visited Melbourne but l loved the many Australian places where I've spent time. . . . . and yes, much of it was very hot. Your lovely Sri Lanka was so hot too of course, but I did enjoy it.

    Stay well, be happy - Mary

    ReplyDelete